Friday, October 5, 2007

Walmart


I, for some reason, have some interesting experiences with the employees at Wal-mart. One cashier actually told me she remembers me because I have a white baby, then a hispanic baby, then a white baby. I guess I should feel honored that she would remember me.

This has happened to me before, but it just happened again yesterday and I wanted to share it with you. Jared, Jack and I were waiting in line at Walmart. Of course, I picked the wrong line and had to wait 15 minutes. So, while I'm waiting in line, Jack starts crying. I love my new son, but he cries a lot and not always at the most convenient times. Anyway, I let him cry a little, thinking maybe it'll make the clerk hurry a little. It doesn't. I pick up Jack and start unloading my groceries onto the counter and load the bags back into my cart with one hand (does the cashier help me, nope!). When I get to the part where I have to pay, I had to put Jack down so I could search my purse for my debit card. The poor kid starts crying again and what does the cashier tell me? "He's hungry Mom." Now, why in the world would she think that she knows what my baby needs better than I do. What I said very politely was, "Well, he thinks he is." What I wish I would have said was something much more rude and told her to mind her own business. But I didn't because I'm a nice person. The thing is, is that people tell me that all the time! Like it's any of their business! Babies cry! All the time! Especially when they've been sitting in the line at Walmart for 15 minutes at the only check-out that's open while watching 10 other Wal-mart employees walking around the store doing nothing!

Ok, I feel better now. I guess I just needed to get that off my chest.

3 comments:

Kendra@My Insanity said...

Oooo. You should have said, "Yes, he's hungry. He's been waiting in this line for quite some time."

I don't know if I would have said it either, but I know I'm always looking for some sympathy or aid when I am out with my children. Walmart usually isn't the place for it. :-/

Becky said...

I am soooo in agreement with you about Wal-Mart, Becky! What a frustrating place but I still find myself shopping there...

Amie said...

Totally...."yah, he hates long lines, just like I do"